Taliban claims responsibility for afghanistan attack
A suicide bomber killed three people and wounded more than 40 people at a camp for the displaced in eastern Kabul on Sunday, police said.
“A suicide bomber targeted a military camp for the internally displaced in Zabul province with four bombs,” police spokesman Nawa Abdullahi confirmed.
A bomb and gunfire killed a guard, police and the governor of Zabul province at a security checkpoint at the entrance of the camp, he added.
A government helicopter circled over Kabul and other city centers, but no details were im우리카지노mediately available about whether there was an immedijarvees.comate threat, according to local radio reports.
Afghan police spokesman Abdul Rashid Zekat had earlier described the attack, which he said “was targeted at soldiers.” A few hours later, local radio said the Taliban claimed responsibility.
Police chief Hakimullah Mehsud announced the attack on his Facebook page, saying five of the victims, including a man and four women, were buried at a military cemetery in the region of Gulhaye.
The Taliban had earlier claimed responsibility for an attack on two Afghan policemen in the city of Kandahar in 2010 and a similar attack in Bagram, Afghanistan’s southernmost province, in 2012, killing a soldier and a police officer.
Talks on the Afghan peace process in the weeks ahead have already been called off because of the violence in Afghanistan. President Barack Obama visited the scene of Sunday’s explosion on Saturday, telling reporters he had no details about the attacks.
The Taliban, which gained notoriety during the Afghan war by leading a wave of killings that killed a record 500,000 people, often accuses foreign armies of targeting their fighters. The U.S.-led coalition that beg더킹카지노an fighting insurgents after the 9/11 terror attacks in America, says it has killed about 9,700 people since September 2001.
On Thursday, another suicide attacker struck at a checkpoint in Nangarhar province and killed a U.S. military general who was heading to Germany, officials said. He was not hurt in the blast.
In his speech on Sunday at a ceremony marking the start of the first anniversary of the start of the U.S.-led troop pullout from Afghanistan, President Obama announced about 2,000 troops would now stay. At the ceremony, U.S. Army Gen. John F. Campbell, who is leading the withdrawal of ground troops, said U.S. troops would remain in their bases and “they are well-served when they’re her